The Willow River Rod and Gun Club is a conservation-oriented organization located two miles west of New Richmond on Highway 64. Over 75 years of history encompass the development of the club that was originally sponsored by the New Richmond Kiwanis. In the 1940’s the club became an independent organization and a decade later obtained 37 acres of diverse terrain for development. Through the years the club has developed projects geared toward participation of families to make club improvements. Two trap ranges, a 200-yard rifle range, an archery range, and the parking and recreational areas were added and became available to all members, their families, and guests. A second trap range and a rimfire range were added when the usage of the club’s facilities began to increase. With each new project, club members spent hours planning to ensure safety and accessibility of the club’s ranges. Today, the club continues to make improvements to add more features to the facility. The newest project, an addition to the club house, will add indoor bathroom facilities for families and add precious space for the popular indoor archery range.
Finding an activity for everyone is difficult, so the Willow River Rod and Gun Club strives to offer a variety of activities to club members and their guests. Activities include turkey shoots, fishing tournaments, rifle sight-in days, conservation projects, bow hunter and rifle education, and league activities. The club has maintained long-term relationship with other conservation and sportsmen’s organizations. Willow River Rod and Gun Club has been active in the county-wide pheasant stocking program and offers both human and financial resources to county and state-wide conservation projects. In addition, the club’s facilities are used by local law enforcement and security companies for training and education.